All members of The Royal Bopsters bring a lifetime of experience in jazz education to the table. Each member of the group has experience with students of various ages and skill levels, both in clinic environments as well as respected New York area college music programs. Individually, the Royal Bopsters hold prominent music department faculty positions at The New School, Hofstra University, NYU, City College, Jazz House Kids, Montclair State University and William Paterson University.
Topics offered in a Royal Bopsters clinic will include but are not limited to:
· General Vocal Technique (warm ups, sound, diction, etc.)
· Vocal improvisation (“scat singing,” jazz theory, melodic technique)
· Vocal Heath Care for all singers
· Melodic Interpretation (“song styling”)
· Repertoire (leaning essential songs/styles)
· Working with an Accompanist &/or Rhythm Section
· Vocal Jazz History (learning about “The Greats”)
· Group Singing (small groups, SATB, jazz choirs)
· Arranging (proper lead sheets, vocal groups, instrumental)
· Stage Presence (relating to the audience, mic technique, etc.)
· Bandleading for Instrumentalists & Vocalists
A variety of topics can be conducted by any of the Royal Bopsters individually, while other sessions can be conducted by the quartet in full. If possible, students will be taught partial or complete selections of a Royal Bopsters arrangement. Since our mission is to meet the students’ needs, clinics will be tailored to fit various skill levels and musical goals creating a most effective and successful learning experience.